Qoalt.com
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

GRE Graduate record examination

Go Back   Qoalt.com > Entrance Exams > GRE

Old 12-26-2013
Super Moderator

maclin is a jewel in the rough
Default Study materials required for the GRE exam

Get your hands on the GRE word list (I used Barron's). Start learning 10-20 or 50-100 new words every day (depending on the number of days you have before the exam). I used this opensource software (Anki - powerful, intelligent flashcards). There is a deck already available for Barron's 4000 GRE wordlist. It is highly effective (I have used it twice for my two GRE attempts).

Buy a book to learn about the types of questions asked in the GRE and some tips to solve them. You may buy any book, it doesn't matter that much, their reviews are equally mixed. Go through this book very quickly and learn what is asked in the exam. Also, try to learn what are your weak areas while going through this book.

Get a copy of the 5lb book (Manhattan's). It is a mammoth book containing thousands of questions, with detailed explanations. Spend most of your preparation time here, try to solve it as much as you can.

If you find that you are struggling in some particular areas, try to buy Manhattan's strategy guide on those topics. These books will help you revise concepts, and help develop strategies to solve problems quickly on specific topics. As a bonus, you will get access to 6 online mock tests by buying even one of these books (there are 8 of them). These mock tests are highly recommended. Do all of them and see how well you are doing. They are almost the same difficulty level as the actual GRE (or probably a bit more difficult).

And lastly, do not forget to use Powerprep's two practice tests. The score you get on these tests is almost what you are going to get on the test day as well (+/- 4-5 points).

Tags
gre exam